Amendment of Education Records: Right to a Hearing

The University will provide students an opportunity for review if they believe their education records to be inaccurate or misleading. If a student believes a record is inaccurate or misleading, the student may write the University official responsible for the record or the area Dean of Students, clearly identifying the part of the record the student wishes changed and specifying why the record is inaccurate and misleading. A conciliation conference between the student, the area Dean of Students, and the author of the challenged material will first try to reach a reasonable solution. Such a solution might be the correction or deletion of the challenged material, or the insertion by the student of a written explanation of the material.

Should the results of the initial conference prove unsatisfactory to the student, the student may request a hearing. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student upon receipt of the request. The FERPA amendment hearing procedure is, however, intended only to challenge facts that are inaccurately recorded; complaints about matters other than accurate recordkeeping (for example, objections to grades, opinions, or substantive decisions made about the student) are subject to the complaint and resolution procedures set forth in Section IX of this Student Manual.

Complaints regarding alleged violations of FERPA may be submitted to: The Family Policy Compliance Office of the U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue SW, Washington, DC 20202-5920.