Withdrawal from the University

The University takes seriously the decision of any student to suspend studies and withdraw from their program. Whether for academic, financial, or other personal reasons, such actions are understood to be life-changing. Students considering such actions are strongly encouraged to seek the confidential advice of their area Deans of Students, departmental advisers, financial aid, UChicago Student Wellness, and Campus and Student Life professionals.

Students in the College who decide not to return to the College must formally withdraw their registration. To do so, students should contact the Office of the Dean of Students in the College. Students who decide to return to the College after being withdrawn must apply to resume their studies. The College is not obliged to approve a student’s return. Students who are approved to resume their studies are expected to complete their program without further interruption (see the section on “Petitioning the Committee on the Resumption of Studies” in the College Catalogue at http://college.uchicago.edu/advising/leave-absence-withdrawal). Students who do not meet with a dean will have a note “Unofficial Withdrawal from the College” posted to their University of Chicago transcripts and are liable for all tuition and fees assessed for any quarter for which they have registered.

Students in the graduate divisions and professional schools who decide to withdraw from their programs-of-study should meet with their area Dean of Students to review their plans. 

International students should report their decision to withdraw to the Office of International Affairs. 

Students who have taken educational loans must have an exit interview with the appropriate financial aid office.