The University of Chicago prohibits hazing which is also illegal in the state of Illinois. A person commits hazing when they knowingly require a student or other person at the University to perform any act, on or off University property, for the purpose of induction, admission, or membership into any group, team, organization, or society associated with or connected to the University if the act is not sanctioned or authorized by the University and results in harm to any person or could reasonably be foreseen to result in such harm. A person’s willingness to participate in an act of hazing does not justify or excuse the act, or fall outside of this policy.
Examples of hazing are included below. These examples are intended to be illustrative and not all-inclusive:
- the creation of physical or mental exhaustion or fatigue;
- forced consumption of alcohol or other intoxicants;
- physical and mental shocks;
- physically or psychologically dangerous or risky activities;
- coercive, degrading, or humiliating games and activities;
- appropriation of public or private property;
- physical harm;
- pressuring or coercing any person to participate in activities that are inconsistent with the University’s community standards or policies or with applicable law.
Any student or group that commits hazing will be subject to the germane Student Disciplinary System, as appropriate. A staff member, post-doctoral researcher, academic employee, or anyone with a visiting appointment who commits hazing will be subject to discipline using the applicable disciplinary processes. In addition, because hazing is a crime under Illinois law, the State’s Attorney may bring criminal charges against any person responsible for hazing.
Any person with knowledge of hazing is expected to communicate promptly with the area Dean of Students, the Office of the Dean of Students in the University, the Office of the Provost, the University of Chicago Police Department, or University Human Resource Services. Reports also may be made using the University’s Hazing Reporting Form.